Tuesday, 13 July 2010
Los paraguayos - the user friendly peaches
These gorgeous little confection like fruits get my vote every summer.
They are marketed under different names. Here in Portugal and Spain, they are known as Paraguayos. Their most common labelling is the Doughnut peach, because of their shape.
I have even heard that Tesco in the UK are marketing them in long flat boxes like those used for doughnuts!!! ( Well if it becomes a fun new way to encourage children to eat their five a day, I´m all for it).
They are also known as `bagel peaches´, `saucer peaches´ and `saturn peaches´, all relating to to the resemblance they give. Flat peaches were first grown in China in the 19th century and called Pan Tao peaches.
TEN REASONS THAT GOT ME MY FLAT PEACH ADDICTION
1. They are sweeter than other peaches
2. They have a delicious hint of almond about them.
3. They taste more delicious than any other peach variety I know.
4.They have less acid.
5.The flesh comes away from the stone easily.
6.Because of their size they can be eaten in your hand,
7.Their thin skin is less furry than other peaches so they can be eaten with the skin on,
thats if you want to spill juice all down your front!!!
8. If you prefer to peel them the skin comes away easily.
9. Because of their shape they are easily segmented into quarters.
10. They make my life so easy when preparing the breakfast at Casa Rosada