Sopa gelada com crouton quente (Chilled soup and a warm crouton)


Oh dear, how terribly Elizabeth David I am becoming in my titles!!-Chilled soup and a warm crouton,"An omelette and a glass of wine" and all that.On my day of culinary experimentation I stumbled across an article on the internet entitled "31 Healthier Baked Versions Of Fried Foods"- "Once-baked is the new twice-fried" it continued.I recently ventured into the realm of baked versus fried with my oven baked doughnut and here they were again, along with some other exciting prospects.Oooh I sayy..... Gwyneth Paltrow´s baked fries and who would have thought of toasting ravioli.I liked the sound of  all this and combed all 31 recipes before deciding to try out "oven baked goats cheese." Well I dont know about "onced baked", but after my first attempt "twice shy" I decided to double dip.Having ended up with a non-stick silicone mat coated in cheesy goaty goo and breadcrumbs, resembling a tray of cheesy florentines, I learnt very quickly that these nourishing little nuggets needed a stronger seal of egg and breadcrumbs around them than them what wrote recipe suggested.
Having perfected the method I have now served them up to guests in two different ways.Firstly as a warm canapé with a glass of wine and more recently as warm croutons on the side of a bowl of chilled beetroot gazpacho.These were both received with an acknowledgement of clean plates all round.My next variation is going to be to serve them as warm nuggets on top of a roasted beetroot salad.The permutations of how this recipe could be served are endless.

Goats cheese croutons,nuggets or balls


10 ounce goat cheese log, make sure this is very cold
2 whole eggs, beaten
2 cups home made breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat, set aside.Slice the log into 24 pieces and using your hands roll each piece into a ball. Place on prepared baking sheet.
Lightly beat eggs in a small bowl. Fill a plate or shallow bowl with the breadcrumbs. Dip the goat cheese ball in the egg wash first. Roll it around so it is completely covered. Then drop them into the  breadcrumbs. Toss the breadcrumbs onto the ball and gently roll to coat. Place back on prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all 24 ball are coated.place the baking sheet in the refrigerator to chill for an hour  and then repeat the process to ensure your balls are completely sealed.
Place in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and crisp. Allow the balls to set for 5-10 minutes before serving. They are very delicate and crumble easily, but the taste is fantastic!

Comments

Popular Posts